Plausible Labs Web Board

The place to talk about VoodooPad. Got a support question? Please email support@plausible.coop
It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: VP 6 Wishlist
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:45 am 

As VP6 is now definitely in development, I thought it might be good to have a place where users can add what they think would be a great addition to VP6!

1. Better layout options. I want a nice tidy Index page and tables are really the only way to achieve this. I'd like to be able to create a more Wikimedia type front page layout.

2. Pages that collect other pages. It would be great to be able to create a page that collects a single topic. So if I create a link [[Fred Blogs]] that I can have a page that collects all other pages with this term in. Even better have this as the default setting for pages. Of course this would be good for todo actions as well!

3. Search. It would be great if the search could include the line that the term is found in rather than just the page. This would allow me to easily pinpoint exactly what I'm looking for. Pretty much like Ulysses 3 currently does.

4. Backlinks. An easy way to display backlinks on a page so I can see where this page links to

Post subject: Re: VP 6 Wishlist
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:34 pm 

1. Better capture / clipping thru the Bucket

2. Dont be a radical departure from VP5, unless you are very confident of what you are doing and have the resources. You can improve what is already good, but no need to fix what isn't broken.

3. I second the request on pages that collect other pages. This is an interesting idea. AFAIK, ConnectedText on windows has something like this. I don´t use CT though, since I´m most of the time on a Mac.

4. Kill the palette windows and go for a togleabble sidebar interface. This is just my personal preference. Palettes can exist but as an exception.

5. If you are very confident on what you are doing and have the resources, i'd say integrate Voodoopad to the cloud and make it an online Wiki with Real Time Collaboration ('Quip' competitor). This is the best way to assure VP is more than a niche app on the future, since I guess the majority of people will eventually go cloud as cloud apps are each time more integrated to the desktop and also to each other (other cloud apps).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:43 pm 

• Markdown support for encrypted pages
  • Better tags UI. This could be related to the idea of pages that collect other pages in the previous replies. I am currently using a custom VPPageEventScript that creates list of pages with specific tags, but it would be nice to have a native support for something like that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:47 pm 

This should be an easy, easy feature/fix/ Allow # in searches so finally #myHasTagICreated will work for instant tagging.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:43 pm 

Another simple fix/feature -- reported it but it seems one is sending bug reports to a black hole nowadays -- just honor the General- Font For plain text pages setting. Seems this broke in Yosemite, it now always defaults to the system font, argh. In general the whole style feature is broken from Yosemite forward, btw.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:50 pm 

Simple way to change a specific font/style across all pages. Let's say I've used Bookman 16 for styles and I want to change it to Vedana 14, across all pages.

If nothing else, a mode to export pages with no embedded CSS so I could change the specific font styles at the web site as part of HTML output.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:51 pm 

Replace text across the whole page, even better, across all pages.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:35 pm 

I have my VP documents in a Dropbox folder and it would be so great if I could access the single pages as plain text from my work computer (that does not have VP installed).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:16 pm 

This may need to come after VP 6, but I would love a more reliable IOS application. I often switch between my Mac and my iPad, but I fear to use VP on the iPad based on previous bad experiences. Stability issues are hard to comment on because failures are not predictable. Formatting does get lost when editing documents on the IOS app.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:49 pm 

Probably too late to request t his, but an ongoing problem I have (that might go away soon)

is my older macs won't open V. 5, and when I open older files with V. 5 VooDooPad makes them v.5 files, which I can't open with the older macs.

I am really close to the point where I will be done with the old macs, most recently replacing my macbook, with a new one....

That said, I now worry the same problem might happen between v.5 files and opening them with v.6

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:58 pm 

I'm afraid that 5 and 6 will be in a similar situation. 6 will read older files, but not write them, so you can't mix and match long term. Unfortunately, it can be tough to keep file formats stable and backwards compatible like that. There's some good news in that Apple is supporting new OSes on relatively old hardware these days, which means that we will too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:15 pm 

mikeash wrote:
I'm afraid that 5 and 6 will be in a similar situation. 6 will read older files, but not write them, so you can't mix and match long term. Unfortunately, it can be tough to keep file formats stable and backwards compatible like that. There's some good news in that Apple is supporting new OSes on relatively old hardware these days, which means that we will too.

It's very common for most apps to not support backwards compatibility of the container data, anyway.