Plausible Labs Web Board

The place to talk about VoodooPad. Got a support question? Please email support@plausible.coop
It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Disappearing text
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:55 pm 

This has happened twice recently, with two different pages in two different VP documents.

I add some text to an existing page, then I return to the page a few minutes later to find all the text has vanished and the page is blank. If I then try to recover the contents by copy-pasting from a backup, a few minutes later I get a Growl notification saying that Dropbox has updated a file to a new version, and then the page goes blank again. This happens repeatedly until I quit and restart VP, after which I'm able to paste in the text from the backup without it being deleted.

Post subject: Re: Disappearing text
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:39 pm 
Site Admin

It sounds like either Dropbox is being slow getting data to your computer- or maybe another computer has the same document up and keeps on writing an empty page to it. If you look at the page on Dropbox's site- does it show it being update recently?

-gus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:45 pm 

I do indeed have VoodooPad running on 2 Macs usually, and often on an iPod Touch as well.

One thing I did notice the last time the problem occurred was that the modification date of the VP document in the Dropbox folder was several hours old and didn't update even when I pasted the recovered text into the blank page and selected Save from the File menu. Presumably that's why the Dropbox daemon kept trying to change it.

Closing the document and reopening it did cause the modification date to update and stopped Dropbox from repeatedly blanking the page.

Quote:
If you look at the page on Dropbox's site- does it show it being update recently?

I'm not able to identify the exact page on the Dropbox website. The page names all appear to be encrypted.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:32 pm 
Site Admin

Hawfinch wrote:
I'm not able to identify the exact page on the Dropbox website. The page names all appear to be encrypted.

It's not encrypted- it's just the UUID of the page.
If you download the raw version of this script, and install it in VP's Script Plugins directory, it'll help you out:
https://github.com/ccgus/VPExtras/blob/ ... box.jstalk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:56 pm 

It just happened again, deleting 3 hours of typing, but your script saved my bacon this time. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:34 pm 
Site Admin

Can you tell me a bit more about the situation? Had you only been working on it on a single computer? I'd like to try and get this to reproduce if possible.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:06 pm 

On this last occasion I had created a new page in a VP document on my Mac Mini and had been entering text for about 3 hours. I switched to a browser then back to VP a few minutes later and the page was blank. I checked the Time Machine backups for the previous 3 hours but these backup versions of the VP document had no trace of the new page. The VP document package in my Dropbox folder had a modification date that was about 12 hours old.

My MacBook (in another room but on the same network) was also active and had the same VP document open on it. However, no-one was using the MacBook or editing the VP document on it.

When I ran your script to access saved versions of the page on the Dropbox website, I saw this (apart from the top line, which is after I was able to restore the missing text with your script):

It would appear from this that VP on my MacBook was somehow responsible for blanking the page.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:41 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the update- sounds like we're getting somewhere.

By any chance- was the page you were working on open on your MacBook? Or was the page first created on the mini, and then the MacBook only knew about it from the syncs?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:12 am 

The page was created on the Mini, and the MacBook only knew about it from the syncs.